Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 232 - Un-put-down-able



I started reading Ahn Do's The Happiest Refuge last night and for the first time in ages, I almost finished a book in one sitting! I did have to finish it today though, so I could get some sleep last night. I loved it. It was so readable and funny, but I did have tears in my eyes for a lot of it, particularly the description of Ahn's family's horrific boat ride out of Vietnam. After a broken down engine and two pirate attacks, during one of which, Ahn's baby brother was dangled overboard, they were finally rescued by a German boat.  When Ahn describes his father getting on board the German boat, he says;

... by the time he stepped off the rope ladder his dry sunburnt face had cracked open into a whopping great smile as he tasted his own salty tears of relief. He'd delivered 39 lives to safety.

What amazing strength some people have.

No comments:

Post a Comment