Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 8 - Book Review



I noticed this afternoon that the table beside the lounge has a llittle stack of books on it, all with a common theme - babies. I've read so much about babies in the last 6 months or so and it is true that you take what you need from people's advice and file the rest away! Anyway, this is what I think about the books on said pile:

Baby-led Weaning - I am still reading this one and I really like the ideas behind it; just trying to figure out how Henry could sit down for dinner with us when he usually goes to bed by 7.00 and we eat at 8.00. Maybe this could work better as his day sleeps get longer which they seem to be doing at the moment.

Tracey Hogg - The Baby Whisperer - I am doing her basic idea already which is called E.A.S.Y. (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You). There's a few other ideas that are interesting too. I love Henry being in a routine because I find it so easy to work out what he needs, if he does get a bit cranky.

Guide to Weaning - Have read some of this; timely as I have begun to switch Henry to some formula feeds during the day in preparation for my return to work at the end of the month. Bargain that Mum picked up for me for only $5!

Sleeping Like a Baby by Pinky MacKay - I love Pinky's ideas and theories on what I guess is attachment parenting, If I didn't plan to return to work, it would all work for me. I have also read her book called 100 Ways to Calm the Crying.

Save Our Sleep by Tizzy Hall - Highly recommended by Peta; for her it worked! (Although I don't think she followed it to the letter?) I read some of it in the first week or so after Henry was born, but it wasn't for me. Must give it back to Peta so she can pass it along to someone else!

What to Expect - The First Year - present from Mum at my baby shower which has been a great resource, although I find that I refer to it less as I trust my own instincts and feel more confident.

2 comments:

  1. 100 Ways to Calm the Crying... I must have missed that one!

    You are correct, no way I followed it to the letter. I love a good routine, but not as timely as Tizzy was.

    Glad you are trusting your own instincts, they are usually correct! :)

    We must be in some kind of sync Belinda, I was contemplating taking a photo of the pile of books I have to read as my Day 8 or I was going to use the photo of the 1st Christmas beetle I saw today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you learnt something from each book, even if one showed you that the author's way was not your way.

    ReplyDelete