Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 2 - Sunday Selling Shoes


Every second Sunday I work in a shoe shop... just in case I get bored and don't have anything else to do! Today was a pretty quiet day in retail land... I think everyone is at Myer's sales, if they are shopping at all. Here are some things I have learnt from working in a shoe shop:

1. There are two kinds of people; those who love shoes and those that wear the same pair every day until they wear out
2. People love to tell you about bunions and other such delightful matters, knee surgery and how they can't wear high heels anymore
3. If you find a good pair of shoes, get them in 3 colours
4. Many women leave the box behind at the store as a way of hiding new shoe purchases from their husband
5. People usually dislike the suggestion that maybe they need the next size up (shoe sizes are not standardised in Australia)
6. Some people don't know their own shoe size
7. A lot of customers think the display shoe must be stretched, when in fact almost everyone has one foot a little bigger than the other
8. Size 7 is the average sized foot
9. Your feet sweat a couple of tablespoons a day! That's an extremely good reason to own many pairs and to rotate - I never wear the same shoes 2 days in a row
10. It's perfectly reasonable to buy the shoes before the outfit

2 comments:

  1. I love this photo Belinda. I have learnt a lot from this blog; I have an average sized foot, I have favourite shoes in 2 colours not 3 & most importantly I am someone that LOVES shoes.
    I will definitely be following you on this journey over the next 363 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of many shoes but can't walk properly in them... hence I unfortunately don't own many shoes at all. To make matters worse I have a broad foot...

    ReplyDelete